Daily Prompt #19: Inspired by Music
As the music plays, write down whatever comes to your mind.
Today, we are going to read a sample play script that highlights how to format it.
Now, we’re going to do some practice writing dialogue. You’ll be writing two different scenes of dialogue.
First Scene: find a partner. With your partner, select one of the sample characters listed below (or come up with your own). Decide on a scenario where these two characters would be talking and write their conversation. Write it like a play script. Don’t worry about quotation marks and dialogue tags.
Be prepared to share. I’ll ask for a few volunteers.
Second Scene: on your own. Select two new characters listed below (or come up with your own). Just as before, decide on a scenario where these two characters would be talking and write their conversation. Write in screenplay or play script form. Use the remainder of the hour.
Sample Character List
from the National Writing Project
- movie star and fanatic fan
- officer and speeder
- psychiatrist and patient
- waiter/waitress and diner
- man on a ledge and psychologist
- principal and student
- hairdresser/barber and client
- teacher and parent
- little sis and big sis
- driving instructor and student driver
- deejay and phone-in listener
- reporter and accident witness
- priest and confessor
- cheerleader and nerd
- girl and boy on blind date
- dogcatcher and dog owner
- player and coach
- two late-night grocery shoppers
- girl’s date and little brother or sister
- flight attendant and passenger
- man and God
- angel and devil on character’s shoulder